ABC - Department for Plant Biotechnology - Plant Virology Group
Current Research Interest
Molecular aspects of plant-virus interaction focusing on the role of the RNA silencing related small RNAs. Virus induced RNA silencing and suppression
Current Research Projects
Temperature stress is considered to be one of the major stresses on crops that adversely affects the distribution and productivity of agriculturally important plants worldwide. Cells exposed to high temperatures activate heat shock responses (HSR), which consists of a series of dramatic biochemical and physiological changes that results in a reprioritization of cell physiology to support survival. Non-protein coding genes (non-coding RNAs, ncRNAs) were shown to be key players involved in different stress responses both in animals and plants. In animal systems ncRNAs were specifically involved in regulation of different aspects of HSR. In spite of many ncRNAs being identified only a few ncRNAs are functionally characterized. In the present project we aim to understand the roles of ncRNAs in HSR in the model Arabidopsis thaliana plants and its close relative Brassica napus.
- Levente Kontra, Tibor Csorba, Mario Tavazza, Alessandra Lucioli, Raffaela Tavazza, Simon Moxon, Viktória Tisza, Anna Medzihradszky, Massimo Turina, József Burgyan (2016) Distinct Effects of p19 RNA Silencing Suppressor on Small RNA Mediated Pathways in Plants, PLOS Pathogens DOI:10.1371/journal.ppat. 100593
- Tibor Csorba and József Burgyán. (2016) Antiviral Silencing and Suppression of Gene Silencing in Plants, Current Research Topics in Plant Virology, 1-33, DOI 10.1007/978-3-319-32919-2_1
- Tibor Csorba, Levente Kontra, Jozsef Burgyan: viral silencing suppressors: Tools forged to fine-tune host-pathogen coexistence, VIROLOGY. 479, SI, 85-103, 2015
- Szittya Gy, Burgyán J. (2013) RNA interference-mediated intrinsic antiviral immunity in plants. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 371:153-81.
- Q, Wang Y, Cao M, Pantaleo V, Burgyán J, Li WX, Ding SW. (2012)
Homologyy-independent discovery of replicating pathogenic circular RNAs by deep sequencing and a new computational algorithm. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012 Mar 6;109(10):3938-43. Epub 2012 Feb 15.
- Burgyán J,Havelda Z. (2011) Viral suppressors of RNA silencing. Trends Plant Sci. 16:265-72.
- Shimura H, Pantaleo V, Ishihara T, Myojo N, Inaba J, Sueda K, Burgyán J, Masuta C. (2011). Viral satellite RNA induces yellow symptoms on tobacco by targeting a gene involved in chlorophyll biosynthesis using the RNA silencing machinery. PLoS Pathogenes2011 May;7(5):e1002021. Epub 2011 May 5.
- Giner A, Lakatos L, García-Chapa M, López-Moya JJ, Burgyán J. Viral protein inhibits RISC activity by argonaute binding through conserved WG/GW motifs. PLoS Pathogenes 2010 Jul 15;6(7):e1000996.
- Pantaleo V, S. G., Moxon S, Miozzi L, Moulton V, Dalmay T, Burgyan J. (2010). Identification of grapevine microRNAs and their targets using high throughput sequencing and degradome analysis. Plant J. 62, 960–976
- Szittya G, M. S., Pantaleo V, Toth G, Rusholme-Pilcher RL, Moulton V, Burgyan J, Dalmay T. (2010). Structural and Functional Analysis of Viral siRNAs. PLoS Pathogenes2010 Apr 1;6(4):e1000838.
- Lozsa, R., T. Csorba, L. Lakatos, and J. Burgyan*.2008. Inhibition of 3' modification of small RNAs in virus-infected plants require spatial and temporal co-expression of small RNAs and viral silencing-suppressor proteins. Nucleic Acids Res 36:4099-107.
- Havelda Z., E. Varallyay and J. Burgyan*,2008. Plant virus infection-induced persistent host gene downregulation in systemically infected leaves.Plant J. 55:278-88.
- Pantaleo, V., G. Szittya, and J. Burgyan*. 2007. Molecular Bases of Viral RNA Targeting by Viral Small Interfering RNA-Programmed RISC. J Virol 81:3797-806.
- Csorba, T., A. Bovi, T. Dalmay, and J. Burgyan*.2007. The p122 subunit of Tobacco mosaic virus replicase is a potent silencing suppressor and compromises both siRNA and miRNA mediated pathways. J Virol 81:11768–11780.
- Lakatos, L., T. Csorba, V. Pantaleo, E. J. Chapman, J. C. Carrington, Y. P. Liu, V. V. Dolja, L. F. Calvino, J. J. Lopez-Moya, and J. Burgyan*.2006. Small RNA binding is a common strategy to suppress RNA silencing by several viral suppressors. EMBO J 25:2768-80.
- Lakatos L., Szittya G., Silhavy D., Burgyán J. (2004). Molecular mechanism of RNA silencing suppression mediated by p19 protein of tombusviruses. EMBO J. 23, 876-84.
- Silhavy D., Burgyán J. (2004) Effects and side-effects of viral RNA silencing suppressors on short RNAs. Trends Plant Sci. 9, 57-104